To ensure residents can enjoy dog visits in a safe and consistent manner.
It is the responsibility of the Recreation Department:
- To review all Dog Visiting Applications.
- To review the responsibilities and guidelines with all Dog Owners approved for visiting.
- To consult with the Department of Resident Care staff for a mutual decision.
- To ensure a copy of the approval allowing the dog to visit is filed on the resident’s chart.
- To assess and monitor dog visits to ensure the safety of everyone at all times.
It is the responsibility of staff, family, friends and visitors to adhere to the Guidelines.
It is the responsibility of Dog Owners:
- To complete a Dog Visiting Application. Click here to download the application.
- To sign the Dog Visiting Hold Harmless Agreement. Click here to download the agreement.
- To submit confirmation by a Registered Veterinarian of current vaccinations.
- To confirm the dog has never been aggressive in nature, nor had a history of biting.
- A Recreation Programmer reviews the application to ensure all information is accurate.
- The Recreation Programmer consults with the Department of Resident Care staff for a mutual decision (if required).
- The Recreation Programmer reviews with the Dog Owner to the responsibilities and guidelines.
- The Recreation Programmer signs the application, providing a copy to the applicant and the respective resident care area.
- The Registered Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse files the approval on the resident(s) chart.
- The Recreation Programmer will provide the Pet Owner with an ID tag to be worn by the dog while visiting Glen Haven Manor.
- All approved visits must be held in the front lounge, opposite the Business Office or outside when the weather permits. Dogs are not permitted to be on the resident care areas.
- No dogs are permitted to be on the premises of Glen Haven Manor until they have been approved by the Recreation Department for Dog Visiting.
- Dogs not approved for visiting or are without their Dog Visiting ID Tag will be asked to leave the facility.
- Dog Owners are only permitted to have one dog visit at a time. Dog Visitor ID Tag must be visible during visit.
- All dog visits must occur in the front lobby across from the Business Office. Dogs are not approved to be on the Resident Care Areas.
- Dog visits should be no longer than thirty (30) minutes.
- The dog must be a suitable visitor – reliable, predictable and quiet.
- All dogs not in a carrier must be on a leash or harness at all times.
- The dog leash or harness must be no more than four (4) feet.
- Dogs are not allowed to be on a retractable leash, leash must be locked.
- Dogs must be at owner’s side at all times.
- Dogs must be under vocal and lead control at all times.
- Dogs must be able to follow commands in a public environment.
- Dogs must be clean and well groomed.
- Dogs must be healthy and up-to-date on all vaccines.
- The Dog Owner must be aware they may be asked to leave if the visit becomes unsafe as deemed by any of the Glen Haven Manor staff.